Young Evangelicals for Climate Action (YECA) is a national network of young Christians who are coming together and taking action to address the climate crisis as an expression of our Christian witness and discipleship. We are seeking three (3) part-time, contracted Field Organizers from March 2020-February 2021 to incubate YECA Climate Action Hubs in strategic regions. Field Organizers will create community groups rooted in prayer, fellowship, and action; build relationships between action hub members and elected officials; engage local and national candidates in creative actions; generate earned media around their activities; and facilitate partnerships with other local climate and environmental justice organizations. Field Organizers will be supported by YECA’s national steering committee and will be responsible to YECA’s National Organizer and Spokesperson.
Successful applicants will be required to attend a mandatory, all-expenses-paid training retreat March 6-8, 2020 in Washington, D.C.
Field Organizers will carry out the following tasks:
- Facilitate regular in-person gatherings of action hub members for the purposes of community-building, peer learning, and campaign strategizing.
- Regularly conduct one-to-one conversations with community members and other contacts in order to continue generating interest and to add new members.
- Coordinate presentations to area congregations to share about YECA’s work and to continue adding active members (18-30 years old) and supporters (+30 years old) to the hub.
- Execute creative, high-visibility actions targeting electoral candidates in order to raise the visibility of young evangelical engagement in climate action.
- Organize and execute regular meetings and communications with elected officials, especially Members of Congress.
- Host community events (i.e. candidate forums, elected town halls, film screenings, concerts) to share Y.E.C.A.’s message, build hub membership, and advance the action hub’s strategic goals.
- Coordinate the regular writing and publication of op-eds, letters to the editor, and other local publication pieces by action hub members.
- Facilitate partnerships with other local climate action and environmental justice organizations on events and legislative outreach.
- Build in equity and inclusion into the organizing structure of the action hubs
- Meet regularly via video calls with national steering committee and other Field Organizers to report on progress, troubleshoot challenges, and be encouraged.
- Self-identifies as evangelical and exhibits demonstrated commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience.
- Organized and attentive to details. Able to work remotely and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Experience and demonstrated ability in public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to frame policy discussions in Christian and theological terms.
- Firm understanding of the biblical basis for creation care and climate action.
- Excellent written communications skills; attention to detail and accuracy.
- Previous experience in an activist or leadership role with YECA.
- Professional or volunteer experience in organizing communities toward action.
- Prior participation in civic and legislative engagement efforts
Hours and Compensation
The Field Organizer position is a part-time contractor position. Field Organizers will be expected to work an average of 10-12 hours per week, recognizing that some weeks will require more hours while others will require fewer. Field Organizers will receive a $12,000 stipend for the year, disbursed in $3,000 quarterly payments.